Join Anthem’s Wellness Team for a morning walk. Guaranteed to wake you up, get the blood flowing, and get a head start on your steps for the day! Course dependent on weather, please wear comfortable walking shoes and enough layers. Meet in the Hotel Lobby.
Strategic Value and Practical Significance
What’s it all about? This forum will engage HR leaders in a dynamic, idea-sharing format, specifically targeting the employee experience as it pertains to the behaviors of the managers who lead them. A manager’s behavior makes or breaks an employee’s attitude toward their job and their productivity and is the true manifestation of a company’s “real culture.” This is particularly relevant for associates who are being promoted into their first leadership role. The core focus is on the realization that management behaviors are a result of self-determinism. The use or abuse of position power and the choice between cooperation or domination behaviors are entirely up to each manager. Managerial words, tones, and actions are chosen with purpose and do not spontaneously arise. Ideally, they are a manifestation of the Golden Rule: “Manage others the way that you would like to be managed!”
This is an interactive “straw person” exercise that can be duplicated in any professional setting. The audience will define the traits of “the best boss they ever heard of” versus “the worst boss they ever heard of.” The resulting lists will be a practical guide for evolving managers to emulate. They will understand which behaviors to manifest and which behaviors to avoid.
Why you’ll want to participate in this session.
- Anyone responsible for the coaching and development of a new manager will have a concise compass heading to follow.
- HR ‘key influencers” who are trying to recalibrate and level set expectations in companies where management behaviors are less than ideal will have an easy tool to use.
- Parties interested in a one-hour dynamic exercise that can be easily duplicated “back at the office” with just a conference room and a whiteboard.
Approved for SHRM Credit and HRCI General (HR) Credit
Be sure to take advantage of Convention amenities including:
- Sherman’s Convention Bookstore hosted by JPMA Staff Development Solutions LLC
- Mobile Hub Charging Stations hosted by JobsinME.com
- Complimentary Barista and Conversation Café hosted by MRG
- Complimentary Cab Rides hosted by Jackson Lewis
- GingerSnap Photobooth hosted by HR Studio Group
- Wellness Opportunities hosted by Anthem BCBS
- Visit the Relaxation Station and Infinity Massage Chairs hosted by Buckingham Designs
Don’t forget to download the Convention Mobile App for up-to-the minute Convention news, session materials, certification credit tracking forms, venue maps, attendee networking and more! Mobile App available for download in April.
Mobile App Sponsored by: Kronos Incorporated
Mobile App Provided by: Cvent Web Surveys/CrowdCompass
CONVENTION TOTE SPONSOR:
LEAD CONVENTION SPONSOR:
A formula for meaningful work and a purposeful life.
What’s it all about?? After a four-year absence from the Samoset stage, nationally-acclaimed author and master of Reality-Based Leadership, Cy Wakeman, returns with an enriching and evolved discussion of accountability – how it should direct your work in human resources and how you can adapt it to your formula of life. It’s a sophisticated and simple message at the same time. Ditch the drama, and you can call yourself and others to responsibility. Then go beyond ego to something better – self-reflection. When you do that, you can turn excuses into results. Join us for a rollicking 75-minutes with Cy, as she explores the research and analysis from her new book, “No Ego.” Leave inspired and determined to deliver accountability to your organization.
Why you’ll want to participate in this session.
- Discover the four elements of the competency of accountability and the relationship between accountability and engagement.
- Adopt interviewing and hiring techniques that ensure accountability in new hires and gain skills in coaching current employees for accountability.
- Become fluent in a new employee value metric that measures accountability, then discover how to “hardwire” it throughout the organization.
Approved for SHRM Credit and HRCI General (HR) Credit.Program Faculty: Cy Wakeman
A Day for Front-Line Managers & Supervisors
The Heart of Organizational Effectiveness and Legal Compliance
Bring-it-home program for managers from outside of HR to get a better feel for the behaviors and practices that impact employers and employees alike. Visit the Supervisor Day page to view the full program description and learning modules.
Sponsored By:Allie McCormack, Ross Gibson
Cy Wakeman: No Ego
(Available for purchase at the Retreat Bookstore)
Monday, May 11, 2020 Tuesday, May 12, 2020 Wednesday, May 13, 2020 Thursday, May 14, 2020 Friday, May 15, 2020