Be sure to take advantage of Convention amenities including:
- Sherman’s Convention Bookstore hosted by JPMA Staff Development Solutions LLC
- Mobile Hub Charging Stations hosted by JobsinME.com
- Complimentary Barista and Conversation Café hosted by MRG
- Complimentary Cab Rides hosted by Jackson Lewis
- GingerSnap Photobooth hosted by HR Studio Group
- Wellness Opportunities hosted by Anthem BCBS
- Complimentary Gelato Treats on Wednesday & Thursday hosted by ESGR
- Visit the Relaxation Station and Infinity Massage Chairs hosted by Buckingham Designs
Don’t forget to download the Convention Mobile App for up-to-the minute Convention news, session materials, certification credit tracking forms, venue maps, attendee networking and more! Mobile App available for download in April.
Mobile App Sponsored by: Kronos Incorporated
Mobile App Provided by: Cvent Web Surveys/CrowdCompass
CONVENTION TOTE SPONSOR:
LEAD CONVENTION SPONSOR:
This session is available to SHRM State Council members and board members of SHRM’s eight affiliate chapters in Maine.
Join Maine SHRM volunteer leaders from across the state in this session intended to help you in your role as a SHRM volunteer.
- Educational Program: TO BE ANNOUNCED
Please note that the Leadership Meeting will overlap with Tuesday morning workshops.Program Faculty: Barry Martin
Enjoy a scrumptious buffet lunch! Recharge and check emails at the Mobile Hub. Barista-made coffee anyone? Join the fabulous brewmeisters from Bard Coffee in Portland, Maine.
An HR Lesson From the Field: Thriving in Chaos
What’s it all about? In 2009, Catherine Carr packed up her MBA and SPHR, put her life in a storage unit, and set out on what started as a six-month field assignment with Doctors Without Borders. Handling everything from tea, milk, and sugar supply negotiations to recovering a misplaced expat in the Philippines, to navigating stark culture contrasts and ensuring adherence to policies and procedures in high-stress and frequently crisis situations, the experience challenged everything she knew about HR.
Today, after 13 field assignments, Catherine has had plenty of opportunities to learn about thriving in chaos. High-stress and crisis situations are inevitable, in any organization. Some would say it’s the norm. Teams are asked to make the seemingly impossible happen while managing stress levels. Leaders are asked to inspire increasingly diverse teams while ensuring high levels of employee engagement. These times, when chaos reigns, can be unsettling and bring about discontent. They can also be incredibly rewarding and boost our resiliency if we can learn to thrive in the chaos.
Why you’ll want to participate in this session.
- Discover how to embrace the inevitability of working in high-stress environments and how to use these times to build resiliency – for your teams and yourself.
- Explore new perspectives on managing crisis and chaos.
- Gain fresh ideas on preparing for chaos to reduce stress levels, feelings of isolation, and maintain perspective.
Approved for SHRM Credit and HRCI General (HR) credit.Program Faculty: Catherine Carr
Enjoy blissful desserts and visit the EXPO Hall to see the quality HR services and products of 80 companies. The support of our EXPO participants makes much of what you see on the Convention floor possible!
Catherine Carr: author of “Hire a Humanitarian” in HR Directions
(Available for purchase at the Retreat Bookstore)
Your Choice of Two Wellness Bursts:
- Convention Wellness Guru Beth Bielat leads this interactive session for a little afternoon TLC. She will include some elements of yoga, mindfulness, and other simple practices that will leave you feeling recharged for the rest of your day.
- Join Anthem’s Wellness Team for an afternoon stroll. Guaranteed to give you an afternoon perk. Course dependent on weather, please wear comfortable walking shoes and enough layers. Meet in the Hotel Lobby.
Join the Convention’s opening reception. It’s a great way to renew HR acquaintances and make new HR friends. Enjoy delicious hors d’oeuvres and conversations about all the day’s exciting moments.
It’s time for a little music, dancing, and camaraderie! Join DJ Kevin Duran of Double Platinum Celebrations in the Enoteca Lounge at the Samoset!
Monday, May 11, 2020 Tuesday, May 12, 2020 Wednesday, May 13, 2020 Thursday, May 14, 2020 Friday, May 15, 2020