Be sure to take advantage of Convention amenities including:
- Sherman’s Convention Bookstore hosted by JPMA Staff Development Solutions LLC
- Mobile Hub Charging Stations hosted by JobsinME.com
- Complimentary Bard Coffee Barista Cafe hosted by Purdue Global University
- Complimentary Cab Rides hosted by Jackson Lewis
- GingerSnap Photobooth hosted by HR Studio Group
- Wellness Bursts & Wellness Challenge hosted by Anthem BCBS
- Massage Chairs hosted by Buckingham Designs & provided by Engage Wellness Solutions
- Complimentary Gelato Treats on Wednesday & Thursday hosted by ESGR
Don’t forget to download the Convention Mobile App for up-to-the minute Convention news, session materials, certification credit tracking forms, venue maps, attendee networking and more! Mobile App available for download in April.
Mobile App Sponsored by: Kronos Incorporated
Mobile App Provided by: Cvent Web Surveys/CrowdCompass
NAME BADGE/ LANYARD SPONSOR:
LEAD CONVENTION SPONSOR:
This session is available to SHRM State Council members and board members of SHRM’s eight affiliate chapters in Maine.
Join Maine SHRM volunteer leaders from across the state in this session intended to help you in your role as a SHRM volunteer.
2019 HR Leader Awards
We will present the 2019 HR Leader Awards to our distinguished colleagues.
Please note that the Leadership Meeting will overlap with Tuesday morning workshops.Program Faculty: Barry Martin
Maryanne Spatola: Careers in the New World of WorkProgram Faculty: Maryanne Spatola
Enjoy a scrumptious buffet lunch! Recharge and check emails at the Mobile Hub. Barista-made coffee anyone? Join the fabulous brewmeisters from Bard Coffee in Portland, Maine.
What’s it all about? Despite unexpectedly losing his vision due to a neurological disease at the age of 22, Randy Pierce has chosen a life filled with incredible adventure. Randy is the first blind hiker to summit all 48 of the New Hampshire 4,000-footers (in just one season!), a 2-time Boston Marathon finisher, and has climbed the iconic Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania. Randy joins us to share the highs, lows, and problem-solving techniques he used to convert adversity into achievement, and identify universal strategies to work beyond our self-imposed limitations – all alongside his guide dog, Autumn!
Why you’ll want to participate in this session.
- Find inspiration in Randy’s tenacious and resilient personal story of tackling adversity.
- Take honest stock in organizational challenges, and assess alternative approaches to self-imposed limitations.
- Learn new strategies to bring back to your organization: from goal-setting and problem-solving, to team motivation.
Approved for SHRM credit and HRCI general (HR) credit.Program Faculty: Randy Pierce
Enjoy blissful desserts and visit the EXPO Hall to see the quality HR services and products of 80 companies. The support of our EXPO participants makes much of what you see on the Convention floor possible!
What’s it all about? The heart of the Maine HR Convention is helping you make a difference in the lives of your employees, the direction of your organization, and the health of neighboring communities. That is why two people who dream of making a difference on a large scale take to the convention stage this year. Courtney Klein (founder of SEED SPOT, an organization based in Arizona with a national reach in startups designed for societal good) leads a lively discussion that will refresh your thinking about human resources. Adam Burk (founder of The Treehouse Institute in Portland and Producer of TedXDirigo) will moderate this session, bringing a Maine perspective to the conversation. There will be a three-part focus on values, process, and results. How are values the guiding light of a start-up enterprise and how do you sustain them? What HR practices are crucial for startup thinking? And how do you measure results?
Why you’ll want to participate in this session.
- Gain a better understanding of how core values are crucial to your organization’s long-term success.
- Witness how social startups view the talent function – from acquisition, to development, and management – and how you can bring “fresh eyes” to your organization’s talent equation.
- Consider the implications of thinking beyond bottom-line financial results, leaning towards a sustainable business model that keeps your values on true north while maintaining the needed flexibility for the short term.
Approved for SHRM credit and HRCI Business credit.Program Faculty: Adam Burk, Courtney Klein
Join the Convention’s opening reception. It’s a great way to renew HR acquaintances and make new HR friends. Enjoy delicious hors d’oeuvres and conversations about all the day’s exciting moments.
It’s time for a little music, dancing, and camaraderie! Join DJ Kevin Duran of Double Platinum Celebrations in the Enoteca Lounge at the Samoset!
Monday, May 6 Tuesday, May 7 Wednesday, May 8 Thursday, May 9 Friday, May 10