7:00 am - 8:00 am
EARLY BIRD | The Strategic Value of Customer and Community Service: Dead River Company Leads the Way
What’s it all about? The Dead River story traces back to 1907 and the woodlands of western Maine. With the purchase of an ESSO franchise in the 1930’s, the company began a march from the forest products industry to become one of New England’s largest energy distributors of heating oil and propane. With over 1,000 employees, Dead River is known for superb customer service focused on respecting the time of its customers and leaving customer homes in better shape than when they arrived on scene. CEO Deanna Sherman and Chief Administrative Officer Guy Langevin join the breakfast conversation this morning to share a bit about the company and more on how their connection with HR links to the strategic direction of Dead River and serves the broader community.
Why you’ll want to participate in this session.
- Observe how a CHRO and CAO built their business portfolios at a family-owned company, and then how they came together to link the organization’s strategic direction and brand to their human resource function.
- Discover the role that community connection played in this process, as they discuss the strategic value of aligning with outside forces, such as the University of Southern Maine Foundation, Educate Maine, the State of Maine Workforce Board, Maine & Company, the MES Foundation, the United Way, and Junior Achievement.
- Learn how the company’s creative culture fosters their work together and how they take the measure of HR, the customer experience, and business value.
Applying for SHRM Credit and HRCI Business Credit.Program Faculty: Deanna Sherman, Guy Langevin
Be sure to take advantage of Convention amenities including:
- Sherman’s Convention Bookstore hosted by JPMA Staff Development Solutions LLC
- Mobile Hub Charging Stations hosted by JobsinME.com
- Bard Coffee hosted by Purdue Global University
- Complimentary Cab Rides hosted by Jackson Lewis
- GingerSnap Photobooth hosted by HR Studio Group
- Wellness Bursts & Wellness Challenge hosted by Anthem BCBS
- Gelato Treats on Wednesday & Thursday hosted by ESGR
Don’t forget to download the Convention Mobile App for up-to-the minute Convention news, session materials, certification credit tracking forms, venue maps, attendee networking and more! Mobile App available for download in April.
Mobile App Provided by: Cvent Web Surveys/CrowdCompass
NAME BADGE/ LANYARD SPONSOR:
LEAD CONVENTION SPONSOR:
Presented by Michael Littman (Brown University).
Details coming soon.
Applying for SHRM credit and HRCI Business credit.
Program Faculty: Michael Littman
Enjoy a scrumptious buffet lunch and meet with our Business Partners to view their products and services for the HR community.
What’s it all about? Understanding the current political landscape in Maine will help you anticipate developments that impact the law of your workplace and trends that influence hiring and retention patterns. There’s a new governor and legislature in town, and by the time the Convention rolls around, they will be in full swing debating bills and budget proposals which will affect employees and employers alike. We are delighted to welcome three savvy Maine political analysts to the stage for their take on the situation. Pat Callaghan, anchor for NewsCenter at WCSH in Portland, will recreate his trademark Political Brew conversation. Joining him are Phil Harriman, a former four-term Republican State Senator and Ranking Republican on the Appropriations Committee from Yarmouth, and John Richardson, a former Speaker of the House and Democratic House Majority Leader from Brunswick. Get ready to jump into the big issues of the day.
Why you’ll want to participate in this session.
- Enhance your knowledge of the inner workings of Maine’s political class, government structure, and how this relates to your organization’s strategic business posture.
- Learn how to monitor the legislative and regulatory environment in Maine.
- And discover how to wield influence, advocate for issues that impact the life of your workforce and the bottom line of your workplace, and build your skillset as citizen and HR professional.
Applying for SHRM Credit and HRCI Business Credit.Program Faculty: John Richardson, Pat Callaghan, Phil Harriman
Enjoy blissful desserts and visit the EXPO Hall to see the quality HR services and products of 80 companies. The support of our EXPO participants makes much of what you see on the Convention floor possible!
Please join us for hors d’oeuvres, conversations about all the day’s exciting moments, and a chance to win some great prizes.
It’s time for a little music, dancing, and camaraderie! Join DJ Kevin Duran of Double Platinum Celebrations for an encore performance in the Enoteca Lounge at the Samoset!
Monday, May 6 Tuesday, May 7 Wednesday, May 8 Thursday, May 9 Friday, May 10