An Engaging Session on Strategy and Tactics
What’s it all about? Join this wide-ranging discussion of workers’ compensation appellate practice in Maine. While of primary interest to attorneys in attendance, this session also provides helpful insights for adjusters, paralegals, employers, ALJs, and policymakers, and it is designed to improve the overall quality of the system. The inspiration comes from a similar CLE provided every couple of years by the Maine Supreme Judicial Court Justices, which focuses on everything from the filing process to oral argument pointers to the Justices’ pet peeves. Our session will similarly highlight some of the important workers’ compensation rules, the advice in brief writing and oral argument, and the pitfalls to avoid. P.S. There will be a trivia contest with prizes!
Why you’ll want to participate in this session.
- Uncover key background and data, including the history of appeals in Maine and information about the parties, issues, and outcomes.
- Learn how best to prepare for an appeal. Examples: preserving issues, when to appeal/scope, standard of review, filing deadlines, and record contents and format.
- Gain information on the briefing process – form, organization, and practice pointers.
- Become better at oral argument, with tips on preparation and best practices.
- And hear about that final layer of appeal – the Maine Supreme Judicial Court.
Approved for Maine Attorney CLE Credit.